On 11/04/2014 10:08 AM, Andrea Faulds wrote:

>> On 4 Nov 2014, at 17:46, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!

>>> Because when you grep for "function bar", in future you'd have to know
>>> the return type too.
>>
>> Sorry, I do not understand - why to grep for "function bar" you'd have
>> to know the type? Just grep for "function bar" as you did before.
>
> Because if that function has a return type, e.g.:
>
>     public function Foo bar()
>
> Then you couldn’t grep for “function bar” because of the Foo.
>
> If we used this syntax instead, which wouldn’t disrupt grep:
>
>     public Foo function bar();
>
> It’d be inconsistent with normal function declarations which would have to
> have Foo after function.

I don't understand that inconsistency.

   public Foo function bar() { }

looks perfectly sane to me. PHP's syntax was very heavily influenced by
C from day 1. In C you have:

   static int bar() { }

In PHP the 'function' keyword indicates what follows is a function.
Putting something in between the function keyword and the name of the
function would confuse me. To me "function bar()" is inseparable and is
equivalent to "bar()" in C which makes the above examples consistent
with each other.

-Rasmus