Hi list,

I'm considering writing an RFC to add a 3rd parameter to fgets which accepts
a user defined function. If we had this today we wouldn't need fgetcsv with
the added benefit of fgetcsv style support for data packaging formats we
would otherwise create more 1 off functions for.  For example, if we decided
to support reading json from files in the same manner as our current fgetcsv
functionality today, we would create an fgetjson function.

This change unifies the way in which we support native transliteration of
data packaging formats from files into php data structures through a single
interface. The other major design benefit, from my point of view, is the
unification of userland transliteration functions/libraries with the same
modality as our native support for these types of use cases. I believe this
will ultimately result in more intuitive userland code around this type of
functionality.

Before I go any further in formalizing my proposal, I'd like to get feedback
from list members.

Thanks for your time.

Bill Salak