On 12/20/2014 05:16 PM, Paul Dragoonis wrote:
> It's too big of a BC change firstly.
>
> Secondly it has no language benefit or developer benefit.

Are you sure? Autoloading schemes such as PSR-4 derive pathnames from
class names without converting them to lowercase. If case mismatches go
undetected and unreported, a project might work on a developer's Windows
desktop (case-insensitive) yet not when uploaded to a Linux web server
(case-sensitive). Or when an object instantiation or a static method
call using the correct case is removed from the code, a later call using
the incorrect case might break.

Backward compatibility is perhaps a good reason to not make this change.
However, I would like to see at least an option to report case
mismatches in class names as E_STRICT errors and possibly a way to
disable that for specific files or classes when necessary.