Hi Andrea

> As Rowan says, this would be a problem. Rather than just closing all bugs
> that are of a certain age, we should just go through all the open bugs one by
> one. 4000 open bugs is a lot, sure, but with a few people working at it I
> think we could get through that quite quickly. :)

I for one are against just closing old bugs without at least a review
too. If we can have 5-10 developers (from any part of the community
with a @php.net account) to look over a few bugs a day, then we can
quickly bring that number down.

We also have a fair bit of bugs assigned to people that I'm sure are
not actively being worked on (notably Pierre, nothing personal here),
but I doubt that Pierre have the time to work on the 120 bugs assigned
to him at the moment, maybe some pieces, bits and bytes are laying
around, I'm sure that also is a small factor for others, be that new
contributors or veterans that will think that the bug is being worked
on but really it isn't. Personally I have tried in December to lower
my number and I'm down to below 10, whether that is simply unassigning
myself, revewing the report or fixing it.

Another thing with assignment of bugs is, some people are assigned by
others because it is their area of expertise, take Dmitry for example
he is one of the few guys that knows the Engine better than my own
backpocket and often bugs are assigned to him for review but some ends
up in the vast ocean of open bugs and are forgotten, again nothing
personal and I have not been any better myself (I just closed an
almost 4 year old bug assigned to me with a working patch).

We could maybe have some advocates that could moderate bug reports and
hand out some @php.net forwarder candy to such that wants to help the
community but may not be able to write patches or fix them directly.

--
regards,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen
ka...@php.net