Andrea,

I like this draft too, and that's a first after countless proposals over the
last decade - so kudos! :)

My main feedback here are the discrepancies between this RFC's casting rules
and PHP's current built-in casting rules.  Ideally, I'd like those to be
completely identical and not almost-identical.
Since we're talking about v7.0, we do have the option of making changes to
PHP's fundamental casting rules where appropriate (e.g. converting an array
to a string).
But that said, I think the way strings->numbers are handled - where they
accept only numeric strings as it would mean you can't use casting to an
int/float as an ultra-simple way to sanitize untrusted input.  I would
change the † section from:

†Non-numeric strings not accepted. Numeric strings with trailing characters
are accepted, but produce a notice.
† Numeric strings with trailing characters and non-numeric strings are
accepted, but produce a notice.

- and apply it to both this RFC and the infrastructure convert_to_*(), so
that it applies across the board in PHP.

Zeev