> On 1 Jan 2015, at 23:58, Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ability to check correct usage with tooling. I'd also like to point out
>> that Hack uses a strict type scheme and it seems to work well there (though
>
> Java uses strict typing too. And Perl has no typing whatsoever. So what?
> How bringing an example of one language that does what you want is an
> argument for PHP to do that? There are examples of languages doing
> practically anything imaginable.

To add to what Stas says: C, in fact, has weak parameter typing. A function
taking a long long can be passed a char, or a double, or even a pointer. Now,
there’s a good case to be made that C’s weak parameter typing is bad. But
that’s mostly because C will let you shoot yourself in the foot and overflow
bounds, corrupt memory or cause a segfault. PHP doesn’t have these issues
though, so that argument doesn’t really apply.

By the way, “weak parameter typing” sounds like a good name for this. Makes
more sense than “non-strict” or “casting”.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/