On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:
> I’ve made some quite significant changes to my Scalar Type Hints RFC, and
> bumped its version to 0.2.
>
> Here: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/scalar_type_hints
>
> This is a new thread because I’ve made a significant revision to the RFC, so
> it’d be sensible to separate discussion of the updated RFC from the v0.1 RFC.
>
> Please tell me your thoughts.

I don't like this at all. I'd prefer raising a new warning type (e.g.,
E_AUTOCAST) over this.

Does the voting system support instant-runoffs? If people could rate
their preferences of:

1) strict scalar types
2) weak scalar types (auto cast)
3) both - different syntaxes. e.g, (int) $foo vs int $foo
4) no scalar types

we could reach a compromised consensus without some building
Frankenstein. I really think having either basic strict or weak types
is far preferred to nothing. There are good arguments on both sides
... let the voters decide.

After that, additional RFCs could be created to address raising errors
on auto case, using declares to toggle behavior, etc - depending of
course on what was decided on prior vote.

--
Matthew Leverton