Hi Dan,

> On 5 Feb 2015, at 23:41, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:
>
> As much as I want scalar types I'm voting no as:
>
> i) Having this code:
>
> function foo(int $numberOfRightTurns) {
>    $x = $numberOfRightTurns * 90;
>    return sin(deg2rad($x))
> }
>
> work or blow up depending on a setting at the top of the file is horrible.

From what I’ve seen this is a rather uncommon case.

Also, that code only works for some integer values and not others: the strict
version is uniformly broken, the weak version is sometimes broken.

> ii) Having the code that I write in userland behave differently
> depending on how people call it, is also horrible.

Your code always behaves identically.

> Additionally Andrea, I am disappointed that you opened voting without
> a option with the 'declare' stuff removed. This is despite myself
> having asked you for an vote option for just strict types directly
> several times. Other people have asked for a vote option that allows
> strict and weak types with a different syntax.

Yes, I realise you and others have asked for such things. I disagree with you
there and I don’t think adding strict types to PHP is really a good idea. I’d
prefer we have more rather than less consistency between userland and internals.

> I realise that the RFC as it stands is your preferred option, but just
> not accepting feedback during an RFC is not appropriate.

I have listened to feedback. But listening to feedback and agreeing to any and
all suggestions are not the same thing.
--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/