On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 3:40 AM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> Should we push json_parser.tab.c? Which is generated (re2c), just like
>> what is done in date or other?
>>

> We do not include bison generated files in the git repo, because bison is
> already a dependency for building PHP from git. We only include re2c
> generated files. Please keep it that way.
>
> Nikita

re2c is dependency for building PHP as well so that's really not the
reason, is it? :)

My point here is that I would like to use a new re2c (I'd really love to
use native utf-8 ranges implemented in 0.13.7) and possibly some bison
features (cleaner definitions, nicer %empty rules - that's not of course
necessary but the parser would look nicer :) ). It would be great if I
could have a finer control of the used version for both tools as it's also
critical for perf testing. If you look to my PR, it eliminates user
dependency on the increased re2c version and the same could be used for
bison. There won't be any git conflicts as well... That would be a bit more
complicated in the config.m4 if I had to generate bison files and ignore
re2c. The reason is is a single Makefile.frag that would have to be split
which would mean bigger changes to the build system.

Is there actually any reason why it is better not to have both json
generated files in the repo?

Cheers

Jakub