Hi,

> De : Pierre Joye [mailto:pierre....@gmail.com]
>
> So we do not want to kill them because they are still used (but dead).
> But we may come with some wrapper to replace almost all the features
> provided by the dead libs? At least for mcrypt, good luck to anyone
> willing to do that for imap ;).

It may be naive but, for imap, what about writing a wrapper between the imap
functions and the Horde/Imap_Client lib, as it works well and is at least as
fast as the original C extension. We can embed the lib and the wrapper in a PHP
extension (reviving the idea of embedding PHP code in an extension) and rename
every public symbols to keep them private (they would not be usable from user
code).

This would probably be much easier than rewriting the imap extension using
libcurl or another imap C lib. Anyway, that's just an idea as I don't know yet
if the Horde library provides every features we need.

It is distributed under 'LGPL version 2.1', would it allow to embed it in a PHP
extension ?

So, please tell me if it's worth going a little further.

Cheers

François