Nikita Popov wrote on 16/02/2015 12:14:
I think this is a great idea, but we should postpone it to PHP 7.1.
Especially if you want to make this AST based (which would require both
stabilizing the AST we return for expressions and having APIs to do codegen
based on the AST) it will require a lot of work both for design and
implementation. I don't think it's realistic to include a high-quality
implementation in PHP 7.

Is there any value in deciding the initial syntax for 7.0, and implementing only non-parameterised annotations, i.e. you can call hasAnnotation(string): bool but nothing else?

This wouldn't be enough to migrate existing annotation frameworks or implement DbC and AOP, but it would mean we weren't adding a major syntax element in a .1 release, which just feels tidier to me somehow.

It also commits us to a roadmap to implement it, rather than just putting off all the decisions for another year.

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]