> De : Philip Sturgeon [mailto:pjsturg...@gmail.com]
>
> I know it is very easy for people to say "Well, that v0.3 that I
> didn't like has been withdrawn, so let's just crack on and do some
> other new thing.

It's not so easy. It would be easier to do as you suggest. And you can still do
it in your name.

Andrea's had agreed we should write a follow-up RFC to solve open issues we had
identified. This is what I am proposing here, nothing more.

It is not some 'other new thing'. It's mostly a way to bring strict-typing fans
back to consensus. Of course, you may find it useless...

> " but I would have to ask people to consider that v0.3
> had two thirds majority, with a few people clearly admitting that
> their No vote was down to declare.

Even if we got 4 or 5 people change their mind because of a new declare syntax,
it is clear that we don't have consensus on this topic. So, IMO, the RFC is
dead, whatever 2/3 or 3/4 we may have. Once it was clear that both camps would
never agree, with every PHP founders against it, pushing it was useless. We're
not electing a president, we're trying to ensure we make the right decision.
The spirit is not the same.

> So, if declare is the only thing blocking v0.3 from passing, despite
> 1/3rd of voters being sad about it, let's just go down that road
> instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water and coming up
> with some new approach that will be bike-shedded over until PHP 8 is
> in feature freeze.

I am also writing this because I think the two-mode approach is by far not the
best one, as it would probably generate a lot of side effects we don't even
imagine now. I voted 'yes' because I thought that was nice to have it in PHP 7
instead of nothing but, now, the RFC is dead and I am free to propose what I
have in mind, especially in the hope that it can bring a consensus where it is
lacking.

Once again, anyone can take over version 0.3, if it is so great. Why don't you
do it ? I will play the game, stop working on my proposal, and vote 'yes'
again. But don't ask me to do it in your place.

Regards

François