On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 7:30 PM, Robert Stoll <p...@tutteli.ch> wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Yes, I am suggesting to make conversions behave the same regardless if it is
> implicit or explicit. The only difference between the two should be that one
> is stated explicitly by the user where the other is applied implicitly. Other
> programming languages behave like this and are more predictable for users as
> well as developers because one does not need to learn two sets of conversion
> rules.

Actually this is not true. Other languages have differences between
explicit conversions (aka casting) and implicit conversions as well.
C# is the language I use the most after PHP, so I'll bring that one up
(see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173105.aspx), but I
believe other languages (probably Java?) act the same way.

Regards
Pavel Kouril