On 23/02/15 20:57, Zeev Suraski wrote:
> They don't upgrade even when there's
> no or very little compatibility breakage.  That's why 5.3 is still so
> popular, and 5.2 isn't rare to find.  Let alone 5.4.

You know my position here but not only are the problems of areas that
were deprecated in 5.3 and removed in 5.4, trying to provide a hosted
version of PHP that works for the older code while keeping the 5.4+ code
happy is a problem. I've just been hit with a change of ownership of one
of my legacy services and the new owner has 'upgraded' resulting in
several sites now having problems. Yes they run but not clean and out of
8 sites I've acquired 5 completely different frameworks. Add in a change
from Apache to Nginx ... you get the picture ...

I've moved them all to one of my own machines with a 'compatible' build
of PHP and we are working again. Should I have reworked each to get them
running, yes, but which customer do you keep happy first? They WILL all
be moved to a single modern framework ... and I've been saying that
since 2012 ... but at least finally I HAVE a stable system on 5.4 which
does seem to work with 5.6 and also with the current PHP7 build. However
in the process I've lost eaccelerator which used to work well on the
PHP5.2 hosting, so I need an alternative simply to stand still ... and
while PHP7 is giving a speed improvement it still lags behind what I
have on the PHP5.4 machines with eaccelerator. So first step get up to
the same platform with all sites, but currently there is no incentive to
switch to a slower system ... Your speed table from earlier shows a
marked improvement up to PHP5.4 with eaccelerator loaded.

PHP7 reduces memory usage and execution time against a basic PHP5.x but
not against my PHP5.4/eaccelerator base ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL