Hi!

> Will it add a significant level of protection? No.
>
> Does it add protection? Yes.
>
> Each time we add some incremental security hardening, we make it a bit
> harder to create vulnerabilities. In this case, if there were code

In this case, it seems not to be much harder than changing an URL a bit
or uploading a file under different extension. OTOH, it creates a false
sense of security - oh, I'm using the secure settings, now I can forget
about caring for LFI! - and also has huge BC break potential. For me, it
looks like magic quotes comeback.

> injection issue, the attacker must a) include a local file (not always
> useful) or b) upload some other apparently innocent file capable of
> being included (extremely useful). As such, this patch would lock out
> an obvious path by restricting the files that can be included to a
> more limited subset.

Unless you disable phar, you can still include pretty much anything by
just using phar includes, as far as I can see. I'm pretty sure there are
also other stream tricks possible (data://? zip://?)

> Enough incremental improvements add up to a significant improvement.

If that were always true, safe mode and magic quotes would still be here
with us.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com