Hi,

On Sun, May 10, 2015 22:01, Levi Morrison wrote:
>> Again, this is a C11 feature. It is supported by clang, gcc and MSVC.
>>

> To clarify this a bit: they permit anonymous unions in C89 and C99
> code (meaning you do not need to pass flags like -std=c11 to enable it).

particularly regarding VS2013/VS2015RC more is readable here
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/04/29/c-11-14-17-features-in-vs-2015-rc.aspx
. One should keep in mind that it's C++ oriended, therefore C99 is just a
partial side effect by luck. Not even talking about C11 or newer which
might be far more incomplete than C99.

Another factor is dependencies handling, as well as C++. So far ICU isn't
good playing with C++11 for example. So while C99 were clamed to be
supported and were nice, still many things need to be carefully checked.
Also besides syntax, there might be some breaking platform API changes.

Is there already some repo one can compile? It might have sense to compile
that repo with any possible compilers on any possible platforms of
interest, and then make an informed decision about C99 when having that
data (in RFC?). It could be also defined not as C99, but as C89 with some
extended features, to be more precise (but would be a question of
definition when there's more data). Once we have that repo, we could ask
people to do test compilations on different platforms and supply the
results.

Regards

Anatol