On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:

> Hi Ferenc,
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> it was meant as a performance optimization for the most heavy/hot
>> codepaths.
>> What gave you the idea that the situation changed and we should use it
>> everywhere?
>>

> I'm curious about the status of Fast ZPP and it's usage.
> The RFC says it reduces function call overheads by 90% and
> I didn't see reason why we shouldn't move to Fast ZPP.
>
> "For some really simple function like is_string() or ord() the overhead of
> zend_parse_parameters() may be about 90%."
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/fast_zpp
>
> I'll use it for functions called many times.

I wouldn't consider the likes of pg_fetch_* to be appropriate for for using
Fast ZPP, even db heavy applications are unlikely to call it more than a
houndred times per request, so the perf gain would be negligible compared
to the increased cost of maintenance.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu