On 08/02/2015 06:31 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
On 03/08/15 00:01, Markus Malkusch wrote:
Anyways, OP was complaining about missing interfaces and features, which is
simply not true. You can communicate through Email, NNTP and if one wants a
webinterface so hardly just wrap one around NNTP. How can it be more
accessible by reducing it to some webinterface only?

No one said that it would be a web interface only (though that is most common). An email system could be supported.

I hate sounding like a hipster youngin', but there's a reason why web interfaces have been replacing a lot of things over the years, though. It seems like pretty much everything computerized can access a web interface these days.

Some of the web based forums have attempted to integrate email with the
on-line interface. Yahoo groups is an utter pain but I don't have to use
any of the web based interface, I just use emails and in the morning
there will be a number sitting in inbox so I don't have to scan around a
dozen sites to see what is happening.

That does seem like a reasonable advantage to supporting email.

The ones that do send email
notifications make a half hearted attempt, but one has to go on line to
see the content o post replies. What *IS* needed is a nice cross format
system of working, but that only requires adding a preferred web
interface to the existing email service? Perhaps then people who seem to
prefer top posting will use the web interface and those of us who prefer
a private local archive will then simply get the new text ... as an email.

That sounds like a conflict of interest, but that's just me.

There are already web based interfaces but not providing what some
people seem to want. What is stopping the development of one of those
interfaces into an addition to the existing email channels? No need to
MOVE anything!

What is stopping development? NNTP is an ancient protocol. Nobody wants to bother writing *new* software for it.

--
Stephen Coakley