> On 16 November 2015 at 09:33, Lorenzo Fontana <fontanalor...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I really like the concept of immutability, but I think that it should be
>> applicable at  instance level rather than declaration.
>>
>> I would also prefer another keyword than immutable.
>>
>> Final does not make the properties immutable, it makes the class not
>> extensible.
>> On Nov 16, 2015 10:24, "Daniel Persson" <mailto.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any differance from the final keyword?
>>>
>>> http://php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.final.php

>>> data. I'm
>>> immutables:

>>> properties

> What instance level syntax would you propose?
>
> $foo = new immutable bar();  ?
>
> or
>
> immutable $foo = new bar();
>
> Gives less flexibility imo and less guarantees of correctness.
>
> Consider the current user land implementation of immutable classes:
>
> class Foo {
> private $bar;
> public function __construct($bar) {
> $this->bar = $bar;
> }
>
> public function getBar() {
> return $this->bar;
> }
> }
>
> Is already done at declaration declaration based immutability is probably
> more desirable.
>
> What keyword would you suggest other than immutable?
>
> ~C

I would prefer

immutable $foo = new bar();

that can also be applied to:

immutable $bar = "string";
immutable $baz = 1;
immutable $arr = [1, 2, 3];

and not only to classes.

The "userland implementation of immutable classes" you are proposing is not
immutable at all.
First of all one could define another accessor method that can change the
state or can bind a closure to $this and change an internal property at
runtime.

Some possible keywords that "means" immutable to me are:

let $bar = "string";
val $bar = "string";

What do you think?