Hi Thomas,

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Thomas Hruska <thru...@cubiclesoft.com> wrote:
> I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but why not have a
> function that application developers can call to switch hash modes and
> support multiple hash modes in the core?
>
> I've always viewed 'max_input_vars' as an emergency hack and I've run into
> the default 1,000 limit many times.  When I hit that limit, I inevitably
> have to raise it to anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 to get the target
> application to function, which, of course, puts the whole server at risk.

Because any hash functions have collisions.
Even if we use stronger hash against collisions, computers are getting
faster and faster, creating colliding key datatabease becomes easier and
easier. Clever person may find algolithmic way to generate colliding keys
in the future also.

In practice, we wouldn't have problems with max number of collisions.
Max number of collisions resolves the issue for good and we may execute
code faster with faster hash. I forgot the number but SipHash is much slower
than DJB.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki