Chase,

On Jan 22, 2016, at 13:15, Chase Peeler <chasepee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.) I think everyone already knows how to be an adult. The fact that
> sometimes we don't act in a civil manner isn't because we don't have
> something telling us what civil behavior entails. Putting it in writing
> might make us feel good, but it isn't going to change how anyone behaves.
> Putting it in writing is necessary only if you intended to have a way to
> enforce it - which requires some form of punitive measures for those that
> don't, as well as a way to determine if someone violated them.

I disagree with part of your assertion here.

Having a written down statement of expected behavior is useful from the
standpoint that it makes it much easier for others to point at and say, “look,
you’re out of line, knock it off”.

For example: where I live, it’s local regulation that in a public park, dogs
must be on leashes. (Doesn’t matter how big, or small, or how friendly, or how
well-behaved, *all* dogs *must* be on leashes at *all* times, except where
otherwise specifically allowed, such as in dog parks.) Occasionally, some
people forget (or ignore, or don’t know about) that restriction (or forget
they’re not in a dog park). It’s a whole lot easier to call out the
misguided/accidental/bad behavior when someone can point at the posted sign and
say, “hey, please leash your dog; unleashed dogs aren’t allowed here,” because
then it can’t be taken only as someone complaining just to complain; instead,
it’s someone pointing out an actual, written, violation of the rules, backed up
by a six foot tall sign.

Having the sign also serves the purpose of reminding everyone (good and bad
citizens alike) what the rules are so they can be more confident in calling out
bad actors. It helps prevent or improve either of these two scenarios: “Hmm… I
think dogs must be leashed… but I can’t remember? Probably shouldn’t say
anything just in case I’m wrong…”, or, “wow, that’s a pretty unfriendly person
and their dog. I better get the number from that sign so I can call the parks
department and report them."

Putting a code of conduct, or contributor guidelines, or whatever you want to
call it *in writing* (and regularly posting them to the mailing list as a
reminder) serves exactly the same purpose as that sign at the park: gently
remind everyone what the rules are; provide something clearly in writing that
everyone can look at and understand; and provide contact information for
questions and complaints. Written guidelines *absolutely will* bring about a
change in how people behave: it may not immediately deter bad actors, but it
will empower the neutral and good actors in bringing about censure and
rehabilitation of those not acting in the public interest.

-John