Hi,

Sorry, this turned out to be longer than I wanted.

First of all, thanks for all your comments, well wishes and suggestions.
I can't possibly reply to all of them individually, but I think the main
take aways are below. I deliberately left out names.

- Putting a document to collaborate on on GitHub was a good idea.

  After the initial announcement I've put the RFC as a whole on GitHub.
  I have now renamed it to
  https://github.com/derickr/php-values-and-mediation as that is more
  what the whole process and document is about (I'll get back to that in
  a moment). Several people have fixed my English, and contributed to
  some improvements already. Thanks for that!

- Language is vague and open to interpretation
- The CoC seems to be more concern with punitive action rather than
  establishing the values of the community.

  Starting out with a "you can't do this or we'll kick you out"
  (paraphrasing) before even saying what our values is likely
  deterimental to getting to a better situation.

- There is no mechanism or ability for one to confront ones accuser

  That's a valid point, but a tricky one. I think it all depends on what
  the *consequences* would be for both the accuser, and the acused. I
  will seek advice from other groups that have gone through this
  process.

- There has been confusion, for whatever reason, on what the outcome of
  mediation regarding either the Contributor Guidelines or Code of
  Conduct should be.

  As an example from IRC this morning, regarding removing code from an
  "harasser":

  <Derick> IRCUser: there was never the intention to ban code from people
                   that behave well inside the PHP internals community. The
                   personal opinion of these people outside of internals have
                   nothing to do with this. Now, if that certain contributor
                   would be harassing another contributor, then *that* falls in
                   the realm of the CoC and contributing guidelines. It would
                   still be very unlikely that code gets removed because of
that.
                   But I do see that nothing further would come out. Code
removal
                   is for when people commit stuff malisciously, or against the
                   will of the rest of internals.

- The current text of the Code of Conduct needs improvements.

  It certainly does. I believe Antony put it up as a starting point. Several
  of you have suggested other such documents to look at, such as the Drupal
  project, and the Django project.

- Uncertainty on where our documents should have any influence.

  There is a reasonable suggestion in
  https://gist.github.com/amacgregor/16c62908ff39f51604e2 but I think it
  can still be improved upon.

- A judicial system must be avoided

  I think it's also a valid point, but IMO I would rather phrase that as
  "The *use* of a judicial system must be avoided".

- People have suggested to decouple the Contributor Guidelines, values
  statement, and Code of Conduct from the Community Mediation Team.

  With the main reason that it is too much to cover in one go.

In case I missed some, sorry. There was a lot of material to go through.

I do believe there is a broad consensus that it would be beneficial that
we try to make our project a happier and more collaborate space.

I know that right now it makes people weary to contribute, and at the
same time, some of us are getting old enough that we would like our kids
to start contributing too.

Picking up on the last point first, that there is too many different
parts being discussed at once. I can relate to that :-) I would
therefore suggest the following:

- Split out the document into several parts, and discuss each part
  separately, and in sequence. Once we're happy enough with each part,
  we continue to the next one. I suggest as order:

  - The goal of the documents, and our general values.

    Maybe we can steal a document from somewhere else as a starting
    point.

  - Our contributor guidelines (ie. how to behave on the mailinglists etc)

    These should focus on the positive things, but also provide negative
    examples of "bad behaviour".

  - The Code of Conduct

    A more formal document that states what we specifically are against.
    This could potentially start with the original Contributor Covenant
    that was initially suggested, or perhaps based on the modified
    version that was circulated in this thread.

  - The Mediation Team: how to deal with complaints regarding
    contributor guidelines (ie. X replies to every post in a
    thread, Y attacks person Z instead of debating technical points).

    As an initial suggestion, this team is to "slap people on the wrist"
    with persistent contributor guideline violations. No powers beyond a
    temporary mailinglist timeout in the uttermost extreme cases.

  - The Mediation team: how to deal with complaints regarding the Code
    of Conduct.

    As this is a more serious document, and where violation has likely
    *much* larger consequences towards specific people a stricter
    approach on possible enforcement should be considered.

After we covered each phase, we'll do a mini vote (to gauge agreement), and
move on to the next stage. After the Code of Conduct section, we can do a
formal "RFC" vote on first three points. And we'll do the same at the end.

I hope that many of you want to collaborate on each document, and I will be
splitting out the current RFC on GitHub into five different parts, where I will
likely remove some of the content that's currently there.

At the end, I hope we have come to a set of documents that illustrates
our values, how we want to work together and resolve conflicts, that has
the empathy of people working together, but also the klout of dealing
with serious issues in a fair manner.

cheers,
Derick