On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Dmitry Stogov <dmi...@zend.com> wrote:
> I would like to present an RFC proposing support for native annotation.

I'm trying to imagine where the benefit of non-constant expressions comes in.

<<foo($a < 1)>>

Assuming we roll in php-ast at the same time (which is a big addition,
IMO, and deserves its own separate RFC), what are users meant to do
with this?  Even if there's a use-case here, one could accomplish the
same thing with:

<<foo('$a < 1')>>

And manually running that string into php-ast if that's what the caller wanted.

Also, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see an answer to the question of
ambiguity between parsing the above as a straight string, versus
parsing it as a ZEND_AST_ZVAL.  I'm sure the answer is "If the AST
tree is just a ZVAL, then it's provided as the compile-time
expression, but what about something else like this:

<<foo(1+1)>>

Logically, this is reducible to a single compile-time value, but it's
a complex expression, so would it be the value int(2)? Or
ZEND_AST_BINARY_OP(int(1), int(1))?

I just think that over-engineers what should be a simple annotation feature.

All that said, I love the proposal overall, and I can't wait to
propose builtin annotations like <<__Memoize>>, <<__Mock>>, and
similar.

-Sara