Something in Dmitry's attribute RFC caught my attention.  There is an
example implying inline functions indicated by an attribute.

I know that was only a potential use case for an extension. But it made me
wonder how much that could improve PHPs performance if we actually had it.

As I understand it, the process by which the call stack is updated and
scope changed, is quite expensive.  And from tests I can see that function
calls do actually add a not insignificant overhead to intensive repetitive
tasks.

So how difficult would it be to get the engine to determine if an inline is
feasible, then skip the fcall init, and dump the a functions opcode emits
directly into the current scope?