On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Fleshgrinder <p...@fleshgrinder.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 8:12 PM, Sara Golemon wrote:
>> The difference with scalar objects is:
>> A) We need to agree on what methods these objects are going to have.
>> ((And we won't agree))
>>

> The nice thing here is that we could start with the things that we agree
> on and develop it from there further.

Which is precisely why we'll get paralyzed.

> On 5/3/2016 8:12 PM, Sara Golemon wrote:
>> We could maybe hedge our bets with a ->invoke(Callable) method that
>> pushes the value into an arbitrary closure, but that's just adding
>> complexity to... avoid adding complexity... o.O
>>

> That would be pure evil.

Agreed.  It's an attempt to force a square peg into a round hole.  But
focusing on OOP chaining will always leave this gap.

> The pipe operator is also just a work around for poorly designed
> libraries in this case and yields more poorly designed libraries.

Pretending that poorly designed libraries exist is naîve.  PHP is
dominated by poorly designed software but it manages to work because
it responds with practicality.

It's practical to provide a functional version of object method chaining.

-Sara