On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Quim Calpe <q...@kalpe.com> wrote:
> Is $0 being considered? It's not ideal but is used as "pattern match
> reference" in preg_replace, so we have a (sort of) precedent here. Same for
> $1 (first capturing subpattern).

I don't believe it's been brought up yet, and it'd actually resolve
the minor conflict with the variable-variable-comment-brace pattern,
but the objections I've seen seem to have less to do with symbol
choice and more to do with blanket dislike for the idea as a whole.

That said, I'm not over-concerned with what the symbol is, provided it
makes sense within the scope of PHP, and doesn't cause too many
headaches in the frontend compiler.

-Sara