On 11/08/16 23:17, Rowan Collins wrote:
> You've mentioned a lot about flexibility, and that the feature could be
> used in multiple styles, but some concrete examples of how *you* would
> use it might help define what the feature needs to do (and not do).

Currently my code has lots of checks for constraints and that is hard
coded. Docblock helps to provide documentation and help in the IDE and
there is no fundamental reason to change anything ... except. Small
elements of the constraint process are being introduced into the
process. You can now complain if the variable is not an integer but it
does not remove the need to still check if the integer is valid. There
have been various discussions on how the rules for that extra step could
be added to PHP and in my book that has been there for years in the
docblocks, but other layers are being proposed to add them, and Yasuo is
now hiding them in his validate functions, so why not SIMPLY add a set
of functions to variables to allow those rules to be freely available
and managed on a variable by variable basis. The validate array function
would then simply iterate over a cleanly defined set of variables? Or
each variable can be managed in it's own right.

I'm thinking
$var->setConstraint()
$var->setEscape()
$var->setReadOnly()

Rather than having to build 'reflections' classes to pull out data that
a simple $var->is_valid or echo $var will output a correctly escaped
piece of text.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL