On 12/08/2016 10:52, Lester Caine wrote:
I think the idea *I* am throwing out for discussion is a switch from
global_library($var, ... ) to $var->global_library( ... ) where $var is
now always an object without having every framework creating it's own
version of the wrapper?

So kind of an extension to the "scalar objects" idea (e.g. https://github.com/nikic/scalar_objects) such that variables can have arbitrary properties / state rather than just the syntax sugar of ->methodCall() ?

One problem I can see is that like with references and objects, the meaning of assignment has to change somehow:

$foo = 'hello world';
$foo->setReadonly();
var_dump($foo->isReadonly()); // TRUE

$bar = $foo;
var_dump($bar->isReadonly()); // ? same value, different variable

$foo = 'goodbye world';
var_dump($foo->isReadonly()); // ? same variable, different value

Of course, the same applies whenever you pass the variable into a function, or return it from one...

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]