On 15/08/16 23:50, Kalle Sommer Nielsen wrote:
> The problem that we are trying to solve here is that there is no one
> to maintain those ways we have right now to collect to
> Interbase/Firebird, how are we magically gonna provide some decent
> alternatives if there is no one to even work on what we have in the
> first place? That does not even make sense.

None of the listed bugs are a problem in normal use. Some WERE fixed in
previous code, but those fixes were not merged with the master code base
in pre git days :(

I accept that 95% of changes are due simply to generic tidies/style
changes that someone feels good about and it was one of those fixes that
broke a few database extensions back in PHP5.0/1 days. It took a few
versions to get interbase fixed then and I did sort of understand how
THAT code worked, but all the ZEND complexity now overlaying the code
makes picking up simple changes a LOT more difficult. MY attempt at the
PHP7 changes where simply a mess which is why *I* asked for some help
working out just how to rework the code. The primary interface to
firebird and interbase has not changed in 20 years so the bulk of the
actions ARE only broken by PHP changes! Although it may be an advantage
to finally split firebird and interbase now that FB3 is out, there is no
pressing reason to do that since all one is really doing IS passing
queries to the engine and getting results sets back!

I should probably actually test FB3, but in my production environments
there is no pressing need to use that. I'm not expecting any problems
with PHP, but if the driver needs compiling with a non interbase
compatible client library, THEN we need to fork firebird and if we have
to do what we did when Pierre dropped support from the driver in windows
builds and supply an unsupported third party build so be it ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL