On 19/08/2016 16:12, Pierre Joye wrote:
I am against removing them, now or in 8.x. this is the kind of things that
makes migrations painful. They are broken on some cases? Fix them maybe?

The thing that is broken about the functions is not the functionality, but the name.

I suppose you could change them to recode Windows CP-1252, which is more common than latin-1 and mostly compatible with it, but that still breaks European sites using ISO 8859-15 (latin 9), and frankly would just further reinforce the common misapprehensions around "extended ASCII" and "decoding UTF8".

What do you think of making them aliases of the new names latin1_to_utf8 and utf8_to_latin1? We needn't even deprecate the old names, but at least it would draw more attention to what they actually do?

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]