Hi Christoph

> Hi Kalle!
>
> But this short-dated decision on whether next will be a major or minor
> is exactly the problem.  Consider, for instance, this RFC which targets
> 7.2 for deprecation and 8.0 for removal.  What if we decide in some
> month that there'll be no 7.2, but rather 8.0 will be next?  Would we
> remove the features without a deprecation phase, or would we deprecate
> them for 8.0 and remove later?  Either way, I'm pretty sure that we
> would have a lenghty discussion, and might even need another vote.  And
> at least some RFCs and documentation would have to be fixed.

That is a valid concern I agree. I just have a hard time wrapping my
head around what if we don't have anything ground breaking for a major
that I would expect in any major, what differences does it then make
for it to not be a minor. I'm a little skeptical on having a pre
determined plan, I do see pros/cons for both sides of the argument and
I reckon the point you raised to be of a possible con of not having a
pre determined plan.

But I do kinda like Rowan's idea of a major within x or y releases
from last major. Gonna think about this for a bit...

--
regards,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen
ka...@php.net