On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Anatol Belski <a...@php.net> wrote:

> Hi Nikita,

To clarify, I wasn't referring to our patch release RCs here, I certainly
see the usefulness of those. What I had in mind is that the current release
timeline for PHP 7.2 plans one new release (alpha, beta or RC) *every two
weeks* starting June 8th and continuing for 12 releases. This seems
excessive and I don't think there are many people who are interested in
testing a new release every two weeks. At least after the alpha phase the
PHP-7.2 branch should be about as low-activity as our other release
branches (as all features have landed by this time), so there will not be a
lot of changes between releases two weeks apart. This fast-paced release
cycle is probably also part of the reason why we have to do the beta/RC
switch early, as it's pretty hard to take a "beta 9" seriously, it's just
"yet another beta" at that point.

I don't think we'd lose much (actually I suspect that reducing the number
of releases will increase willingness to test them) if we used a monthly
release cycle instead (e.g. using 2 alphas, 2 betas and 2 RCs.)

Nikita