Over the past two weeks, I've observed quite a bit of PHP 7+ userland code breaking due to remote hosts switching to a TLS 1.2 only policy. For various specific reasons, I strongly suspect that PCI DSS 3.1 implementations or compliance audits against that spec have something to do with the changes that I'm seeing:

https://blog.pcisecuritystandards.org/migrating-from-ssl-and-early-tls

In just the last two weeks, I've seen completely unrelated servers of various vendors go offline for an upgrade. When they come back up a short bit later, they are suddenly configured for TLS 1.2 only. Running a Qualys SSL labs test confirms the changes. It's a rather specific change to encounter in such a short period of time.

PHP userland code (e.g. stream_socket_client()) is unable to connect to such hosts via "tls://" host strings. The string has to be updated to use the version-specific string "tlsv1.2://" before the connecting code starts working again.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

I've got great, time saving software that you will find useful.

http://cubiclesoft.com/