On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Bob Weinand <bobw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that we're pretty late to the party, however I see typed properties
> being
> a pretty central feature to the PHP 7.3 feature set then, just because of its
> size.
> I think it may be worth pushing the release of 7.3  a few weeks back instead,
> if we decide to have this feature make it into PHP 7.3.

To quote Nikita: https://twitter.com/nikita_ppv/status/1009800042629271553
"Just to make sure we're on the same page: What I mean is that an
initial implementation *has* to land before branching, but has a lot
of time to bake afterwards. If the implementation is not good enough
to land before branching, then it can't go into 7.3."

I'm fine with that take on it.  If we can get to consensus quickly
enough to get a vote closed by the end of July (which, incidentally,
allows for a bit past the feature freeze date), then I can get behind
it without a additional delay.  If we CAN'T close the vote by then,
and we're not willing to push the dates out to accommodate, them
that's where my 'no' comes from.

Last year at this time, a certain new extension rolled right up to the
wire and bit beyond and it was a mess.  Half the post-branch fixes and
API changes didn't even hit the 7.2 branch (without messy
cherry-picks) because the committer wasn't paying attention or
responding to attempts at communication.  Yes, you and Niki are much
better plugged in, but other stuff comes up when you leave things for
the last minute, and I don't want to see 7.3 have issues as well.

-Sara