Semen Dubina wrote on 07.01.2019 16:38:

> Hi, everyone!
> Original PR and description see: https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/3460.
>
> Because of the accuracy constraint set by the 'precision' variable, debugging
> problems often occur, and many developers consider the limited accuracy to be
> feature of the language.
> For better compatibility with other languages and predictable behavior, I
> suggest changing the default value of the variable 'precision' to -1.
> In the tracker you can find several bugs in which people trusted output of
> 'var_dump' and 'echo':
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=66866
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=66959
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=68551
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=73358
>
> Examples: https://3v4l.org/Mr4KM
>
> If you know a case when it will violate some task, describe it, please. I
> think
> that the trusting of FLOAT is a very bad practice.
>
> -- Semen V. Dubina https://sam002.net/
>
> --

Hello,

good point, having:

echo ini_get('precision') . PHP_EOL;
echo ini_get('serialize_precision') . PHP_EOL;
echo json_encode(array('price' => round('45.99', 2))) . PHP_EOL;
echo (0.1+0.7), json_encode(0.1+0.7) . PHP_EOL;

gives (https://3v4l.org/ldgo8):

Output for 7.1.0 - 7.3.0
    14
    -1
    {"price":45.99}
    0.80.7999999999999999

Output for 5.3.6 - 5.6.38, 7.0.0 - 7.0.33
    14
    17
    {"price":45.99}
    0.80.8

what is the preferred way to upgrade from php 5.6 to 7.x in order to get the
same results?

Regards
Thomas