AFAIK, gettext functions do depend on setlocale.

I wish so much that it wasn't the case (as you then need to have the
locale installed on the system), but it is, so setlocale definetely is
quite used in the wild and deprecating it seems a bit far-fetched
unless we can actually replace it with something else (better).

But gettext has other issues related to being cached in the current
process, as you need to restart apache if the compiled .mo files have
changed to get the new strings :(

Another function that is influenced by setlocale is strftime. This is
often the common way to display a date in a different language.

So I'm all for deprecating setlocale but before that we would need to
have something better for everything that's currently depending on it :)

BohwaZ