Den tor. 31. jan. 2019 kl. 19.04 skrev Zeev Suraski <z...@php.net>:
> As long as we can agree that very few actually deploy on Windows, I think
> we're on solid grounds.
> As the JIT implementation is likely to have at least some significant
> differences compared to Linux, I'm not sure what testing it on Windows would
> give you.  JIT is supposed to be entirely transparent, and the performance
> characteristics - as well as the bug patterns - are likely to be quite
> different on Linux vs. Windows, at least in many cases.
> Is it really that important to have?

I think we can easily agree on the fact that by no means Windows is
the top candidate for production. For me personally from a project
standpoint, I believe it is something important that we can have a PHP
that is pretty much as transparent and identical no matter what
platform you are on, which is something I have tried to do myself by
implementing various Linux routines for Windows natively to make PHP
as platform independent as possible.

> I'm honestly a bit perplexed by how many people here viewing Windows support
> as a must have, while at the same time I think we all agree PHP is very
> scarcely found on production Windows servers, and JIT is a predominantly
> production feature.

With above being said, then I do also agree with you here, but I would
like to have such functionality and improvements to our core system be
as global as possible, naturally I don't think its fair either to
require it so desperately upfront, but it should be a heavy
consideration with the amount of work that we all have put into making
Windows support one of the best among programming languages of similar
category.

> It'd be interesting to evaluate the cost associated with supporting Windows.
> Bare in mind, we're proposing to vote on this as a production feature for PHP
> 8 - which realistically means almost two years from now *at the earliest*.
> I'm sure we'd have Windows support a lot sooner than that if we decide that
> it's a must have.  I agree with Nikita that the key question is in fact, do
> we or do we not want to introduce JIT in - with the main question being the
> maintenance cost.  Let's tackle this question first, otherwise - why send
> Dmitry (and maybe others) for doing more work (Windows support) if we are
> likely to flush it all down the toilet?

I don't think it would be fair either to simply dismiss the idea and
many years of hard work for a detail like platform support either, and
that is not the way I hope anyone would cast their vote.

> I think that if we reach the conclusion that Windows support is a must, we
> can condition the inclusion of JIT based on having it.  Let's first agree on
> whether we want it in the first place.

Agreed. Naturally I would contribute in what I can to work on those
parts (Windows).

--
regards,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen