On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 5:16 PM Zeev Suraski <vsura...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 3 Feb 2019, at 16:43, Jan Ehrhardt <php...@ehrhardt.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Zeev Suraski in php.internals (Sun, 3 Feb 2019 11:02:56 +0000):
> >>

> >> How is that related?
> >
> > It is directly related with your statement that "developers with other
> > host OSs still use Linux for the actual PHP development". They don't use
> > Linux for the actual PHP development. They are using Windows.
>
> That statement was in a certain context - for those who use containers and
> Linux VMs, which is (as mentioned) a growing trend.  I think it's clear
> that I'm not claiming it's everyone, or even the majority - but if it
> wasn't clear - it should be now...
>
> Zeev

I feel like this discussion ended up going a bit astray, with a focus on
only the issue of Windows support... While I think that we should endeavor
to support at least Windows and MacOS before the JIT hits a release version
of PHP, at this point in time (and for the purposes of the vote) the
questions of maintenance and stability are the most important. Ultimately
those questions can't really be answered until interested parties have
reviewed the JIT codebase. To that end it would be helpful if:

a) A PR of the JIT branch could be submitted against php-src, so there is a
place for review comments and more technical discussions. (It might be
necessary to squash, as GH doesn't deal with large history well.)

b) The RFC (or some other place) is extended with some high-level design
information on how the JIT works on a technical level. Some notes on how
JIT bugs are usually debugged would also be very helpful.

Regards,
Nikita