On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 20:57, Peter Kokot <peterko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 20:24, Legale Legage <legale.leg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello, internal.
> >
> > I want to propose including to the bundle phpenmod/phpdismod scripts.
> These
> > scripts are included to the standard deb/rpm packages. What do you think
> > about including them to the bundle?
> >
> > If the idea is worthwhile, I will make the RFC.
> >
> > Saluti, Ruslan
>
> 1. Will it work also on Alpine Linux and MacOS? From what I see, the
> title of these two POSIX shell scripts is "phpenmod - a PHP module
> manager for Debian"

 It depends on us. We can make special scripts for MacOS and even Windows
:-).

> 2. License MIT will cause any issues with bundling them in php-src?

License allows it. Moreover, i think the author (Ondrej Sury) will be
pleased
if his creation will be included in the bundle.

> 3. Do you know where is the source code of these two scripts? When the
> upstream script gets updated it would be then useful to copy/paste
> changes into php-src. So the main development should be happening
> upstream anyway. Meaning away from the PHP.

I don't know what to say on that.

> What these two scripts do is they enable "extensions" on Debian
> installation. For example, phpenmod ftp
> Some naming conventions name the PHP extensions (bcmath, openssl,
> sodium...) also "modules". So, overall, nothing very simple to create
> for all operating systems. Each Linux distribution has different
> package repositories, locations to shared extension ini files, so that
> is in this situation probably good to be left to 3rd party repository
> maintainers or the Linux distro packages maintainers themselves.
>
> Most likely it will not be easy.

> Yes CLI tooling arsenal for more systems/devops oriented PHP world are
> in need of improvements. There are many that lack handling extensions
> (we were just discussing PECL for example in some other thread)...
>
> Perhaps the presence of such scripts in the bundle will push the
unification
 process on different systems. In any case, you can always make your own
way and not use these scripts.