On Mo, 2019-02-04 at 07:24 +0100, Remi Collet wrote:

> P.S. I have never understand the need of such tools...
> did it made sense in previous century, where download have a cost ?
>
> BTW, on package linux distro, when I install a webapp which depends
> on
> some extensions, I obviously expect than everything needed is
> enabled...

I have no insight into Debian/Ubuntu's reasoning, but I think a factor
is that sometimes you want stuff only in some SAPI. Obviously readline
and pcntl are not good in apache sapis. (well and after those my
examples end and those could also be handled by the packaging system
...) and I thnk the logic follows their way of handling i.e. apache
modules which have to be enabled a2enmod/a2dismod.

Anyways, the feature in this way has little use in current vanilla PHP
and is more a topic for when we revamp the pecl/extension handling.

johannes