Le mardi 5 février 2019, 10:36:48 CET Zeev Suraski a écrit :
> Regardless of what you did, actually obtaining full voting rights
> meant you had to ask for a VCS account, and have a reasonably good
> explanation on why you need one - enough to convince one of the folks
> with admin rights on master.php.net to click the 'Accept' button.
> That's all.  Immediately, one has identical rights to someone who may
> have been spending years of their time on PHP, in a one way ticket.

To me that is the purpose of voting, what you’re saying is like complaining
that in a democracy old people with experience has the same voting power than
young ones.
I feel for votes to make sense you need a lot of people voting, a vote between
the 10 core developers does not make a lot of sense, and could well be replaced
by a discussion on a mailing list.

I’m also not sure why one would need to be coding PHP itself to be able to vote
its direction, I feel it’s sane that people using it have a say in it.
I know you (or someone else) explained having a say in it does not necessarily
means having voting power, but I feel it does.
I’m not sure without voting power I would follow closely RFCs as I do now.
So I think this is where my main disagreement with these criteria is: I like
that people interested in PHP can get access to voting where it goes.

> As I mentioned above, the criteria is open for debate.  From my POV
> though, having such a criteria and implementing it - even if it's 7.5
> years too late - is a must.
> I agree that a commit count isn't a good criteria on its own, but as
> mentioned above - I think it adds value as an added bar for the
> already-low 500 line count.
> I consider both criteria as fairly low bars for full voting powers on
> one of the most popular open source projects in the world.

You make it like it’s a gift for people to be able to vote on PHP RFCs while I
feel like it’s good for PHP to have people voting its RFCs.

> Also note that the 'Grandfathering' period aims at providing a
> reasonable transition for those who are borderline qualified to vote,
> and gives them a full year to clear the bar to retain their full
> voting rights.

This is exactly the problem with such criteria: It will push people to do
things just to get the criteria, like fix typos in comments or split features
in several commits to make the count.
Voting system criteria should not influence the way we write the code.

One last point: Having non-core developers voting puts a higher bar on RFC
redacting quality: The author needs to explain his feature well enough so that
people without deep internal knowledge get it. This is a good thing.

Côme