On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 02:03, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning Nikita,
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018, 4:43 AM Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >  Hi internals,
> >
> > When the silencing operator @ is used, the intention is generally to
> > silence expected warnings or notices. However, it currently also silences
> > fatal errors. As fatal errors also abort request execution, the result
> will
> > often be a hard to debug white screen of death.
> >
> > The most recent occurrence which motivated me to write this mail is
> > https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=77205, but I've seen this play out
> > multiple
> > times already.
> >
> > I would like to propose to change the behavior of @ to only silence
> > warnings, notices and other low-level diagnostics, but leave fatal errors
> > intake. In particular, the following should not be silenced:
> >

> I am surely missing use cases because I wonder why we need @, at all?
>
> Yes there are functions generating extra messages and should not, be fro.
> PHP implementation or from external libraries (wrapping stderr to php
> errors). All of them could be fixed.
>
> Best,
> Pierre

The most common case which comes to mind is to suppress erros while file
reading.
Because even if you check a file exists it could be deleted inbetween the
check and the
read command. As you can see this is even written in the documentation [1]

Best regards

George Peter Banyard

[1] https://secure.php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php