On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 14:18, Arvids Godjuks <arvids.godj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to add that as the userland developer, it would be nice to be able
> to build JIT against an active branch (a.k.a PHP 7.4), cause if PHP 8
> brings enough changes, it would not be realistic to fix our apps to be
> compatible with PHP 8 months or years away from actual release.

This was the purpose of the secondary vote on the RFC (
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/jit#proposed_voting_choices). The result was 18
Yes to 36 No, so JIT will be PHP 8 only.

I won't repeat the discussion here, see the original RFC thread for the
pros and cons, and why I suggested a "PHP 8 Preview" would be a better
target for people to test against.

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins