Somebody wrote somewhere:

> > Would you agree if things are done correctly that it is in everyone's best
> > interests to keep a solid and well-maintained driver for InterBase and
> > Firebird in the core?

No.

When PHP first became widely used, distributing software was
difficult, and having everything in one place made life a bit easier
for both the people writing code, and users.

Since then, people have invented distributed version control (like
git), easily available online code repositories (like Github), and
self-published software (like Composer/Packagist + NPM). These have
all made it much, much easier to distribute software.

I'm pretty sure one of the big goals that the PHP project should try
to accomplish over the next year or two is to allow extensions to be
distributed through channels similar to Composer.

If/when that happens, there's a very good chance that other extensions
will be moved out from core (imo) as having extensions be separate is
better as it means:

* extensions are not forced to have the same release schedule.
* there can be natural selection in which extensions people use.
* most discussions about extensions that only a very few people use
won't need to be on the PHP internals list.

cheers
Dan
Ack