I saw the list and the ages, what I didn't see was a justification for
removing them.

I think a proper analysis hasn't really been performed, for example the
native-tls branch was merged after ng into the 7.0 series, and I didn't
remove it because it serves as a reference point for the old vs the new way
without digging through a bunch of history/logs/whatever ...

These branches are costing us precisely nothing, just because they are old,
or you don't know what they are for doesn't mean they should be removed.
Good justifications include things like the branch causing confusing
amongst intended audience, a branch containing code so broken that it could
be considered malicious ... and I'm sure other reasons, none of which are
being presented ...

Cheers
Joe