On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 14:14, Benjamin Morel <benjamin.mo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As a code collaboration platform, GitHub is pretty good, but it's not built
>> as a discussion forum, and there are plenty of limitations to using it as
>> one.
>

> Could we work on agreeing on a set of requirements for such a discussion
> "forum" to replace mailing lists?

That could be an interesting exercise, yes. Ideally, we should consider RFC
drafting, voting, and bug tracking as well - not because we have to replace
all of them with one platform, but because we might want to divide things
up differently from how we do at the moment.

> Using GitHub Issues as a starting point, what would you change?

That's pretty much the opposite of your previous question. For one thing,
it's unanswerable without knowing the scope - e.g. would it just be for
RFCs, or all discussions?

Besides that, if we're going to introduce an anchor that we compare
everything to, surely we should say "using the setup we have as a starting
point, what would you change?"

Until we know what we're looking for, I'm really not clear why GitHub
issues should have any starting advantage over Discourse, or PHPBB, or
Trac, or Phabricator, or Bugzilla, or probably hundreds of suggestions we
could evaluate.

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins