On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 14:16, Zeev Suraski <z...@php.net> wrote:

> > How can an undefined group have copyright vested in it?
>
> It's very much well-defined.  And certainly not by Wikipedia, but in the
> PHP source code and the php.net website itself.  Right at the top of the
> Credit page:
> https://www.php.net/credits.php

Respectfully, this is a list of people who are identified as part of the
PHP Group.

My understanding is copyright has to be vested in individuals or
legally-recognised entities. The PHP Group is neither of those. The
wording  "Copyright The PHP Group" is different to saying "Copyright the
individual contributors (hereafter referred to as "The PHP Group").

This led me to check that contributors to PHP do not have to assign
copyright to the PHP Group (I checked
https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
<https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#copyright-and-license-headers>).
So what are the PHP Group holding copyright over?

As ever I welcome being set right if this is inaccurate.

> > And more
> > importantly, how would it defend or deal with a copyright infringement if
> > "The PHP Group" is not a recognised group or legal entity?
>
> Thankfully, copyright infringements are practically irrelevant as far as
> the PHP license is concerned.  License violations are also pretty much
> irrelevant, with the only practical exception being someone breaking the
> clause that requires them not to use the name 'PHP' to promote a derivative
> product.

I'm pleased that has been the case.  Long may it continue.

Peter