> More generally, people take time in understanding the peculiarities of that
> uncommon feature which is the backtick operator. This is a real cost.

Is this a generally agreed-principle that the PHP community believes is
important?

If so, shouldn't we quantify what the cost is and who would bear that cost, and
then compare it with a quantified cost to be born by the people whose working
scripts would break?

Also if so, should we then not also consider other peculiarities that cause
people to take time understanding/dealing with?  A really good example would be
the difference in needle and haystack order for parameters passed to
array-related functions.  Certainly far more time is spent dealing with those
peculiarities than time is lost related to the backtick operator?

So if we as a community agree that time spent understanding peculiarities is a
solid justification for an RFC to be accepted, then it seems to me the PHP can
support a large number of RFCs given all of its different peculiarities, no?

-Mike
P.S. I can go either way given the above on both topics. But having an
agreed-upon principle — or not — would really streamline debate.