Hi Dik,

On 29/10/2019 21:44, Dik Takken wrote:
Opcache already performs type inference. [...]
Here is an interesting read on the subject:

https://depositonce.tu-berlin.de/bitstream/11303/7919/3/popov_etal_2017.pdf

Thanks for the link, and the insight into how much OpCache can already do.

I guess preloading gets us pretty close to the tool I was imagining - OpCache could make assumptions that cross file boundaries, within the preloaded set, and could spend longer optimizing during the preloading phase than might be expected on a simple cache miss.

I think it will be interesting to see how tools adopt that feature, and whether eventually we'll see autoloader functions as just a fallback mechanism, with most packages being enumerated in advance as large preloaded blocks.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
[IMSoP]