Richard,

>I don't really see devices with specifications such
>as described in this URL as being any more suited for
>financial cryptography than the average virus-infected Windows
>PC - more part of an untrusted Internet over which
>secure messages can be transmitted given an appropriate
>Public Key Infrastructure than secure end devices
>suitable for generating or decrypting and verifying said messages.

The actual device shown is probably as you describe.

But PXA270 is a part of the Trusted Computing Platform
concept and will *when implemented* seriously challenge
"secure end devices" not only feature-wise but also from a
security perspective.  From a session I will hold at the
Wireless Connectivity Word in Amsterdam RAI the 8:th of
June 2004 I take this PPT picture:

Wireless - Eliminates card "skimming" as there is no direct
  contact between phone and receiver

Display - Alerts the user in a uniform way when a secure
  operation is to be performed

Keyboard - PIN-codes never leave the mobile device

Crypto - Intel's PXA270 shows the way ahead

Usage - Typically always carried around by the user
  who regard their mobile devices as ever more valuable

This is "FINREAD" but in a much more useful format.

Anders